By Pam Selenak | FOHBC Public Relations Director
As great of a show as the Reno Expo was, it did not go without a blemish. The bottle collecting community as a whole is an honest and trustworthy group of people. We have in the past, been able to leave our sales tables and do a little shopping or chat with someone for a while and know that our items will still be there when we get back. Unfortunately those days are gone. Even if 99.9% of us are in this group of upstanding citizens there is that 0.1% that ruins it for everybody. I can’t stress this enough DO NOT LEAVE YOUR TABLES UNATTENDED.
At Reno, there were one or more persons casing the show for opportunities to steal. Here is the list of some of the stolen bottles:
• Green, John Moffat’s Phoenix Bitters
• Green, “Old Castle Flask” with repaired neck
• “Warner’s Safe Tonic Bitters” amber pint
• 8 1/2, in deep aqua, A.M. Cole Virginia City
• 7″ aqua, 4 indented paneled medicine, “Dr. Mintie’s” on one side, front panel “Nephreticum”, “San Francisco” on other side
• Sharp & Dohme KU-19 poison, 4″ tall cobalt, front paneled: skull & crossbones with star above and below, with the word POISON down both sides; rounded back with original label
To the person or persons who have in their possession any or all of these items take note.
1) There were thousands of pictures as well as time lapsed photos (every ten seconds) taken during the three days of the show. We are presently going over each and every frame to find you.
2) You have committed grand theft.
3) If you try to sell or show these bottles you will be caught and prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.
Is it worth you losing your lively hood, family, and the quality of the remainder of your life? A full police report has been filed. This information is also being sent out by magazines, websites, and club newsletters. You have angered the bottle community and we WILL be looking for these bottles. This activity will not be tolerated. YOU WILL BE FOUND!
To any bottle collector who sells on eBay, please note in your narrative of this and that if anyone sees or hears of any of these types of bottles to contact the Federation immediately. Know who you are buying from and only buy from reputable dealers!
So, PLEASE,keep an eye on your tables at shows. These people are out there and they know what they are doing.
[FOHBC] A few comments from our members…